Thursday, March 7, 2013

Jerusalem Countdown Movie Review

 

originally posted 11/05/12



Wow! My heart is still racing! Tonight we watched Jerusalem Countdown, a Christian movie about the events leading up to the rapture. I really enjoyed it, even as I chewed my fingernails to shreds. My sisters, however, proposed that they sleep in the same bed together and fight off nightmares after watching this. Girls! What would they have nightmares about? Don't get me wrong, this movie is filled with tense moments, but not really scary moments. This movie was awesome!
 
Here is the synopsis:

With the Middle East in turmoil, Israelʼs preeminent Ally is thrust into an impending war— America is now the target as the battle for Jerusalem begins. Adapted from the Best Selling Book by Pastor John Hagee, JERUSALEM COUNTDOWN highlights the reality of an inevitable conflict between Israel and Islam. When nuclear weapons are smuggled into America, Senior FBI Agent, Shane Daughtry (David A.R White) is faced with an impossible task—find them before they are detonated. The clock is ticking and the only people who can help are a washed up arms dealer (Lee Majors), a retired Agent (Stacy Keach) and a by- the-book CIA Deputy Director played by Randy Travis. Nuclear holocaust on American soil threatens global stability and the impending destruction of the world is coming to fruition, in this film of international terror and suspense.

I would give this movie four stars out of five overall. The only thing that marks it down is some of the storyline that is simply unrealistic at times in the real world (this is a movie after all, though). In one part an ordinary citizen sees some ammo cases and mysterious suitcases being lugged into his neighbors house, and decides to investigate himself (yeah, smart). It is not until later that this ordinary character calls the police when he is trapped and almost found out in the basement of the bad guy's place. This movie also almost makes you laugh with a couple of the good ole sayings. The "I will be back for you, I promise" line is dropped once after two of the main characters share a smooch (not married, sigh).

Overall though I think this movie is definitely worth watching, especially if you want to get your adrenaline pumping. It, several times, talks about Jesus and the gospel, and one of the characters, the ordinary guy, receives Christ. The rapture scene towards the end is pretty cool. The movie leaves you hanging, so I wonder if there will be a sequel? Sign me up to see it if there is!

As far as being rated PG-13, there is plenty of shooting and people getting killed, but no blood ironically. This is a Christian film after all.

It is on Netflix. Go ahead, watch it some rainy evening! Girls might want to relocate to another TV for a chick-flick, that is if you do not enjoy suspense and don't really like sleeping with your sisters:).

8 comments:

  1. We watched this on Thanksgiving day. :) Before I proceed to state my opinion, I should add that not all girls are affected by "scary" movies. :P
    Anyway, I liked watching the movie (who doesn't?!) but it was just a little too cliche in some aspects. I think the story line wasn't very solid (so many location changes and it left me with too many questions from unclear scenes) and some of the dialogue/acting could have been a little better. (I didn't think the lead girl was very strong.) However, it was a very good idea and some of the climaxes were very strong. I would totally watch a sequel!
    BTW: have you seen the "Left Behind" series or the "Omega Code"? Those are really good apocalyptic films and more intense than "Jerusalem Countdown". ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree with Bethany's comment! ;)

      Delete
    2. Great! I guess I do too . . . ;0)

      Thanks for the comment, Eden!

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the comment, Bethany! Not all girls are affected by scary movies- I just jotted that down in my notebook for future reference. ;0) I must say that I cringed at the overall "noviceness" of this review as I read it again. It was written during my early days of blogging . . . like, all of a year ago (I don't know what I was thinking when I typed in the date. I originally posted this on my old blog on 11/05/12, not this year). :0)

    Yep, I have watched and liked the first two of the three Left Behind movies (and they are making a new one with Nicolas Cage in it, btw). Never heard of the Omega Code . . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The new Left Behind movie isn't connected with the old ones though. :(
      ~S

      Delete
    2. Yeah, they're doing a complete reboot. I would be a happy camper if they brought Kirk Cameron back as Buck, but as it is, I am just hoping they don't ruin the story too much (I have read all 12 of the books). ;0)

      Thanks for the comment(s), Shiloh!

      Delete
  3. I wasn't a huge fan of this movie. I felt like it had a great Attention Grabber at the beginning and then developed a long introduction with an added mystery that introduced the characters. At the end of the movie, I was like "ok ready for the move to begin!" :D I guess they either need a sequel or a different story line. :) The reoccurring window scenes were good and scary! :D

    ReplyDelete