Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Homeschool Picnic!

Hi y'all! On Saturday, the Bowes clan embarked in our fifteen passenger van to go to a homeschool picnic! It was the first of such picnics we have ever had the chance to go to, and it was a blast! There was around ten homeschool families there, each one about as large as ours (do the math . . . that is a lot of kids!). It was so good to meet some new friends! Pretty much from the moment we got there till the moment we left, I was playing some game or another (including ultimate Frisbee, soccer, tug o' war, and many different foot races). I had such a good time that I didn't even realize how sore my muscles were from all these activities till the next morning, where I was reduced to hobbling around like an old lady for a time. :0) I might have lost 10 pounds from all the exercise, except for the fact that I gorged myself on the home-cooked picnic food.

Tug o' war!

 
Ultimate Frisbee
 





All of us unanimously agree that we will have to go to the picnic again next year. It really is too bad that it is only once a year. :0( The great thing, though, is that there is a dance this Saturday hosted by one of the homeschool families where we will be able to see our new friends again. Of course, the thought of a dance brought nothing but groans from my brothers and I at first, but it turns out that the dancing will be what is called folk dancing, which looks really fun. Our family's knowledge of dancing includes little more than the "chicken dance" (and perhaps some crazy moves to the movie Madagascar's song "I like to move it, move it"), so we have been learning several of the folk dances. Below are links to a couple videos of the dances we have learned so far.
 
Virginia Reel: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBBdgcHimoM&list=TL4aVLysRIWDA  

Posties Jig: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhdWs-vb0XQ

Should be fun!

2 comments:

  1. If you all figured out the Posties Jig then you are doing really well! That is a hard one! :)

    Looking forward to seeing your family there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, thanks, friends! See ya' today!

    ReplyDelete